I’m restoring my life.
Two weeks ago, I deactivated my Facebook accounts and decided to take back my life for a while!
Truthfully, I was kind of over Facebook. Political rants, cat memes, and other “noise” got to me. Plus, I’d been feeling for a long time that I needed to disconnect and clear my head about some things: My continuing long-distance relationship had begun to drain me (even though we love each other dearly). I knew I needed to narrow my coaching practice to focus on a niche. I’m writing a Lenten book that needs to get to my editor/compiler by week’s end. I must plan for 2019 in the middle of the coming holidays. On and on it goes. I’ll re-engage in a few weeks, because it’s hard to get your message and large doses of encouragement out when you aren’t on Facebook. You can still follow me on Instagram and Twitter, though.
So I detached, and here’s how I am doing it (note the present tense!):
- I’m putting ME first, right after God. I have to take care of me. Five years ago, my fiance chose to remain in the city where he’d moved to do a nine-month fellowship. After much screaming, kicking, and lots of wonderful moments in between, I have decided to love and to be as supportive as I can three hours away. I didn’t choose this distance, and I’ve wasted entirely too much valuable time and energy on the reasoning behind the choice and the fact that we don’t do life together. He knows this. This whole adventure has actually brought us closer through the heartfelt dialogues we’ve had. I love him and he’s a FaceTime call away, but right now I’m focusing primarily on me. I’m RESTORING my life.
- I’m tossing strategies out the window for now. This is my first blog post in a month, and I’m not doing my videos for social media. Instead, I’m looking ahead to the new year, and putting strategies in place. They will get ignited January 1, 2019.
- I’m finishing the writing and editing of my Lenten ebook. My deadline is this week. ‘Nuf said.
- I’m enjoying my revived hot tub and my new and beautiful fire pit. Lots of yummy self-care going on.
- I’m going to savor the holidays with nourishing conversation with friends I haven’t seen in a while and get ready for my Hawaiian vacation in January (I get to see my family!)!
I’ve always been a planner, down to the last detail, and I am currently planning for 2019. But right now, other than doing that and submitting this manuscript, I am just enjoying life, the Advent and Christmas season, and my hot tub and fire pit.
And it’s all okay.
Amy Walton’s practice is getting tightly focused on encouraging and empowering women in midlife and beyond. A certified life coach and Christian life coach, she incorporates coaching, speaking, and writing-with some creative consulting on the side- to help her live her mission. When she’s not working, she’s working out, sharing life stories, and doing any odd assortment of activities… except trolling Facebook. She’ll soon be spending evenings by her Advent wreath, one of her favorite annual rituals. Connect with her at firstname.lastname@example.org.